Fountain County Courthouse Murals
Guided Tour
Previous (Receiver)


First Floor West Wall Left:
Early Map

This map shows the county as it was at its beginning in 1826.  The county was organized into five townships. The coloring of the map indicates the terrain.  The green shows the heavily wooded areas, the earth color shows where the timber was thinner or cleared, and the light yellow indicates our three prairies.


Indian trails are indicated by wavering white lines, all leading to the salt bed in the southwest corner of the county.  In the fall of 1826, the County Board authorized construction of the “Old Plank Road”, the first “improved road” in the county.  This toll road was built of three-inch planks bolted to a wooden stringer and ran from Covington to Crawfordsville.


We see the Wabash and Erie Canal, which was completed as far as Covington in 1846.  The white crosses on this map indicate the approximate location of the graves of Revolutionary Soldiers.

Next (Modern Map)