Fountain County Courthouse Murals
Mural Tour (Desktop Version)
West Wall First Floor

MAPS OF FOUNTAIN COUNTY


EARLY MAP

This map shows the county as it was at its beginning in 1826.  The county was organized into five townships. The coloring of the map indicates the terrain.  The green shows the heavily wooded areas, the earth color shows where the timber was thinner or cleared, and the light yellow indicates our three prairies.

Indian trails are indicated by wavering white lines, all leading to the salt bed in the southwest corner of the county.  In the fall of 1826, the County Board authorized construction of the “Old Plank Road”, the first “improved road” in the county.  This toll road was built of three-inch planks bolted to a wooden stringer and ran from Covington to Crawfordsville.

In the mural, we see the Wabash and Erie Canal, which was completed as far as Covington in 1846.  The white crosses on this map indicate the approximate location of the graves of Revolutionary Soldiers.


MODERN MAP (1939)

After a number of years and several changes in boundaries, eleven townships were permanently formed.  The meaning of the colors is the same as on the Early Map. Notice how the cleared land predominates. There is little timber except along the creek bottoms.  The prairies are practically the same.

As we see, Fountain County is largely agricultural, but a few industries are shown on the map,  `Railroads, modern highways, trucks and automobiles have taken the place of Indian trails, wood plank road, covered wagons and the canal and river traffic.